Share the love
I’ve listened to Martin aka The Home Current
two times. The first time during a vernissage for the launch of Ghosts of Gone Birds’
brilliant book by Chris Aldhous. And the second time for The Jacuzzi Club
. Amazing vibes, tribal samples, a very eclectic DJ who could be the right fit between Carl Craig and afro-beats.
We had a chance to ask him few questions. Enjoy.
Hi Martin: who are you by day and who are you by night?
By day a conservationist working for Thames21
to protect the waterways of Greater London. By night co-founder/owner of record label Second Language, DJ, musician and vinyl collector.
The Guardian talks about a “slashers” generation: do you consider that you’re one of them / us?
I believe quite a lot of people qualify as so called ‘slashers’ and I would have thought this would have been the case for decades if not centuries. Look at George
Washington: General, president, visionary, break-dancer. It’s hardly a new thing.
Where do you get your inspirations?
From different people, cultures and sounds. And from nature. Oh and from the internet.
What do you think when you mix?
Usually something along the lines of “did I close the window/disconnect the iron before I left?”
What can we wish you?
A long, healthy and happy life – and that I come across an affordable copy of Lata Ramasar’s The Greatest Name That Lives 12″
You can follow Martin on:
and twitter: The Home Current
Discover Martin’s top 20 album list for 2013:
1. TM404: S/T (Kontra)
2. Musiccargo: Harmonie (Emotional Response)
3. Special Request: Soul Music (Houndstooth)
4. Patrick Cowley: School Daze (Dark Entries)
5. Who Is William Onyeabor: S/T (Luaka Bop)
6. Serafina Steer: The Moths Are Real (Stolen)
7. Hailu Mergia & His Classical Instrument: Shemonmuanaye (Awesome Tapes From Africa)
8. Woo: Whichever Way You Are Going, You Are Going Wrong (Emotional Rescue)
9. Finis Africae: A Last Discovery, The Essential Collection, 1984-2001 (EM Records)
10. Studio Ghibli: Kokyo Kyokushu (Mondo)
11. Karl Hyde: Edgeland (Universal)
12. Express Rising: S/T (Not On Label)
13. Boards Of Canada: Tomorrow’s Harvest (Warp)
14. Craig Leon: Nommos (Superior Viaduct)
15. Grazia: S/T (Fortuna)
16. Gunnar Haslam: Mimesiak (L.I.E.S.)
17. Angéle David-Guillou: Kourouma (Village Green)
18. Dickon Hinchliffe: Red Riding, In The Year Of Our Lord 1980 (Blackest Ever Black)
19. Rauelsson: Vora (Sonic Pieces)
20. Forest Swords: Engravings (Tri Angle)